Sunday, June 14, 2009

Road Trip

June 13, 2009

According to Google Maps, it should only take approximately 10 hours to drive from Dallas to Brownsville. However, due to the sheer size of the group, many restroom stops were needed. I won’t forget to mention we also stopped for a tire pressure warning light, we passed the exit for the highway from San Antonio to Chorpus Christi, and then one of our drivers almost rear-ended another van as he was distracted looking at a Sno-Cone stand. So after 12 hours of driving and frequent stops, we finally made it to Brownsville, Texas.

It’s about 94 degrees with a dew point of about 90%. Even in the shade my face was burning. All in all, it has been pleasurable getting to know some of the guys on my team. There are 9 of us and most of the guys look like or actually are rock stars. Needless to say, they have been a blast to get to know!

I am rooming with a guy I used to work with at RightNow.org by the name of Lonnie Smith. I have known him since August of 2007, but we have really been getting to know each others’ stories and views on life and ministry. I’m thankful for this opportunity for God to use an older, wiser man to pour into me some of his knowledge and wisdom and theology.

We are going to be working with young adults and possilby a youth group as we go out to invite different people to First Baptist Brownsville. I have been informed that during the days of Tuesday and Wednesday, we will be building bunk beds for the Mission Outreach Center. During the evenings (when it's cooler) we will be leading Vacation Bible School.

Please pray for:

~Divine appointments and encounters

~Clarity of communication

~Team chemistry (it's been awesome so far!)

No comments: