Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Step 3: It's time to make a choice (dealing with my commitment to Christ & His will for my life)

It seems I am working the steps faster than I can update them...maybe that's a good thing.

After dealing with my powerlessness over sin's power in my life, I believed that God could restore me to a healthy and sane way of life. One thing I have been learning about belief is that is MUST be accompanied by action. If it is not, then it's not true, biblical belief.

With that being said, I move on to Step 3...which says:

Step 3: We made a decision to turn our lives and our wills over to the care of God.

This flows out of Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."

Principle 3: Consciously choose to commit all my life and will to Christ's care and control.

In our culture meekness is often equated to weakness. If you don't believe me, check the most current dictionary. 

Dictionary.com defines meek as:
1. humbly patient or docile, as under provocation from others.
2. overly submissive or compliant; spiritless; tame.
3. gentle; kind. 
4. similar to a limp noodle.

Ok, ok, that last one was mine. But really...spiritless? Overly submissive?? It does not surprise me that the world sees meekness as weakness. And it shouldn't surprise you either. After all, Jesus pretty much turned everything upside down with sayings like: 'If you want to save your life, you must lose it" and 'if'you want to be greatest in my kingdom, you must be a slave of all.' I could be wrong, but it appears that the bible paints a much different picture of meekness. 

The best definition of meekness I have heard is very simple: "Power under control." A wild elephant is a powerful creature...and placed amongst a lot of people it is a very destructive and violent creature. Take that same elephant and train it and tame it. You have the same power, but now it's under the care and control of a master and can accomplish seemingly impossible tasks.

My problem (and maybe you can relate) is that I don't like to be the one who is not in control...especially of everything around me. I have tried incessantly and tiredly to control my circumstances, my relationships, other people, my income, etc. Why has it taken me 3 decades to figure out that I can't do this and whenever I try, I wreck everything?! I'm hard headed and far worse...hard-hearted. 

It's when I finally realize the subtle and overt ways I have defied and rebelled against God, human authority, and others around me that I can see the destruction it's caused me and others. But even more importantly, I can finally see my hideous pride and all my self-defense mechanisms / walls / masks / pretenses / etc.

What am I to do now that I see this mess that is SO large that I cannot clean it up? Simple...I cry out to God. I cry out and make a decision that I will turn everything over to Him. 

"Come to me and I will give you rest - all of you who work so hard beneath a heavy yoke. Wear my yoke - for it fits perfectly - and let me teach you; for I am gentle and humble, and you shall find rest for your souls; for I give you only light burdens." (Matthew 11:28-30)

"I give up...save me...teach me...guide me God...I need You."



No comments: