It is so flippin hard to get on here when the electricity and internet go out so often! I've been meaning to get on here sooner...some really cool things have happened.
So on Saturday, one of the team members who I am rooming with and I went to a village not far from here via a motorcycle. Allow me to say that the roads here are about like the roads in Lousisana...terrible. When we arrived 20 painful minutes later, we were greeted by a family that the team had already made contact with before. The family owns a honey-making business and they are an awesome famliy. The father is distinctly different and his children are as well from the rest of the culture. It seems the hand of God has been upon them, though they don't yet know the Truth, the Way, and the Life.
The oldest son spoke a little bit of English. He was telling me that he longed to NOT get married (not the norm here or in America for that matter) and that he wanted to travel the world. I told him he and I are quite alike and encouraged him. You see, marriages are arranged here and the men get married off around 20 or 21 and the women around 18. If they are even a couple years older than this and not married, they get tremendous pressure from the famliy and the village to get married. It's like the old testament days.
Well, we visited for 3 hours or so, checked out the motorcycle this man owned (it was built in '91 and was Russian made, but it looked like it was from the 1940's...no joke), and then we bought a couple liters of honey (most amazing honey in the world...trust me). The father in many ways reminded me of Cornelius from Acts. He's a God-fearing man just itching to know the truth. Please be praying that he and his families' eyes will be opened when they hear the truth proclaimed from the team.
Another story: The team leader and a couple of the team and I went to their 'Usto's house (An usto is liked a hired hand to do different odds and ends around the house or office...usually contracted and paid for an allotted amount of time) for dinner the other night. He will remain nameless for now, but he and I have tried communicating for a while. He knows a little English and I'm learning a little of his language. He said at the dinner that he wished that he and I could have a good conversation if it wasn't for the language barrier. Afterward, he showed us a bomb casing that was from a bomb that had been dropped right there in his backyard during the civil war in the early 90's. His father was killed in the explosion. It's one thing to hear a story about this civil war and a whole other thing to see the casing of a bomb left where it had exploded years before. My heart sank.
Sorry for being a Debbie-Downer. This is just life here.
In other news we finished painting the office! I'm no longer high from the paint fumes and am excited that most of the team is here and some will be joining soon. There is one state-side who is recovering from an injury sustained here a few months back. Pray for her speedy recovery. She is missed amongst this tight team.
So, one thing to leave you with: I was busy the other day and I really wanted to remember to brush my teeth that night (I had forgot the night before...I know, I'm disgusting), so I left the tube of toothpaste on my bed so I would definitely not forget. Well, I was uber-tired when I got home, I forgot to brush my teeth (again, though I do it in the morning after breakfast anyways) and I hopped into bed. Yeah, I sat on the blooming thing and it shot off all over me and the sheets. I guess I don't have to worry about gingivitis between the sheets now. Toothpaste is way more sticky than honey too.
Anywho, I gotta run. Here's some photos and video if I can add them. Ok..I tried for 15-20 minutes...I promise...I was playing Sudoku while I was waiting. It wouldn't work...I'm not computer savvy. Sorry folks, but use your imaginations! Love all of you and can't wait to see you again! Keep bringing it with the prayers...God's on the move here!
Over and out...
1 comment:
I wonder what you guys would talk about if there were no language barrier.
Post a Comment